Thursday, May 2, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: 'Divergent' | Veronica Roth


Divergent hard-bound international cover


Faction before blood...
One choice can transform you...

These two quotes did change my world drastically.
Veronica Roth's Divergent is the very first novel that I read. The very first book to be part of my collection.
I brought and read it last March 2012 and finished it on the same day. Ever since until now, I've read Divergent more than fifty or sixty times.
It is really a great book for me. It is just simply amazing and perfect, and it inspires me to create or write my own story which is now entitled as the eX Dream/2018 that was halted for four years before I've found out about Divergent.

Divergent was set on a futuristic Chicago wherein society was divided into five factions: Abnegation (the selfless), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), and Erudite (the intelligent). People were divided according to where they are distinguished. And annually, every sixteen-year-olds tie their choice to where their loyalties will be for forever.
Beatrice Prior, the sixteen year old heroine and narrator of Divergent was tested on a difficult decision when her aptitude test says that her result is inconclusive. But she was forced to make a choice between her family or to who she really is. And she made a decision that surprised everyone, even herself.
Trying to cope up with the tight competitive initiation on her chosen faction, she felt that she does quite belong. On the same place were she rid off everything she is before and even met a handsome yet sometimes intimidating boy during the process. But her almost perfect society wasn't it is as she knew it to be.
Filled with tingling romance, breathtaking actions and suspense, and thrilling mysteries and revelations, make the Divergent book reach the heights of fame for three years until now.


CHARACTER: 10 out of 10
I must admit that the creation of the characters are very unmistakable. I love the creation of the characters as if they were indeed real. And it is very visible compared to the existence of Harry Potter, Edward Cullen, and Katniss Everdeen. The creation of Tris Prior and Four were very good. They are like really normal. A normal girl and boy living in a not so perfect world. That's why, there's the score of a perfect 10! ;)

PLOT: 9.5 out of 10
To make it short, the only thing that I don't like with Divergent is that the shift of revelations. I mean, it is too much or the shift is very fast. It is very good that it does surprises everyone yet, there are some cases that is also left hanging, missing a slot in the pages but fortunately, it was covered up by Insurgent.

SETTING AND THEME: 10 out of 10
I love the setting and theme of the Divergent book because I am a great fan of sci-fic and also the apocalyptic or war type. Not to mention that I'm really in with the blood-shed! xD joke!!


MUST READ!!

OTHER PICTURES
    



No comments:

Post a Comment